Care & Fit Instructions
In order to keep your Designer Bums nappies free from damage and covered by our warranty, it is important that nappy outers are washed at a maximum temperature of UP TO a MAX 60 degrees Celsius (140F). The maximum recommended machine spin speed is 800RPM. LOW Tumble only on shells with caution as high heats can delaminate the PUL waterproof lining. High spins in the washing machine over 800RPM can damage elastic.
*** Before use please watch our helpful fitting guides for both our cotton and PUL styles on our YouTube Channel :) CLICK https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLyNNEcdCywaqf9B-AcJi6A
NEW NAPPIES only require a short rinse cycle with a small amount of detergent and when dry can be used. Our premium custom-milled bamboo is so absorbent it works right away but will continue to increase in absorbency even more.
Care & Washing Instructions - Nappies
- Before washing, gently unsnap all inserts and separate parts to avoid tearing fabrics - Genuine KAM snaps are very strong
- DRY PAIL - Place any solids into the toilet and give shells and inserts a quick rinse under the laundry tap to dilute residue and then store nappies in a dry-pail between washes. This will prolong the lifespan of fabrics, and help to avoid mould, ammonia and waste build up in the nappies, plus limit smells. Do not leave longer than 2-3 days particularly in hot climates or summer.
- PRE-RINSE - Once you have a load ready to wash, run a short cycle prior to the main wash with a half amount of detergent. This helps to remove heavy soil and prohibit build-up. Using a cycle that drains the dirty water away before the main wash is best.
- MAIN WASH - Wash nappies every second day using the FULL amount recommended of a good quality regular, sensitive or plant-based washing powder for your load size (without fabric softeners or bleaches). Simply run a 'heavy or long' (max 60 degrees) to get nappies thoroughly clean, sanitary, free of build-up and smelling fresh each wash. We recommend using double the amount for plant based detergents when washing nappies for best cleaning results.
- DRY - AIR or LOW ONLY Tumble Dry for Shells - Use caution if tumble drying shells, high temperatures can delaminate the waterproof outer and void your warranty. Cotton outers can shrink in the dryer so line dry is recommended. Inserts can be dried at any temperature and are less ridged after a tumble dry.
- Do not exceed spin speed of 800RPM when washing shells, as this may damage and stretch the elastics.
- Do not run nappy shells through a hot wash over 60 degrees as this can damage the PUL waterproof layer and will void your warranty.
- Barrier creams are fine to use but will require a warm to hot wash to remove oil and zinc residue that will impact absorbency. We recommend using a liner with nappy creams - please note 'flushable' liners are a hazard to plumbing and should be placed in rubbish or non-edible compost after solids are flushed.
- To avoid damaging or fading fabrics, do not soak in chemicals or bleaches
- If your baby has particularly sensitive skin, we would recommend running an optional short, final rinse to ensure all detergents are washed away and consider using a sensitive or plant based laundry detergent
- Cellulase Enzyme is used as 'anti-pill' technology and contained in some washing powders. It is included to trim off loose and fuzzy fibres with each wash, keeping garments looking newer for longer. Cellulase by its nature, breaks down natural fibres such as bamboo, hemp and cotton at a certain concentration. The concentration of Cellulase in commercial powers is very low, therefore no immediate or shot-term difference would likely be detectable. Once these materials have been exposed to the manufacturing process they are 'regenerated' meaning they are no longer in their raw form and not susceptible to enzyme breakdown in the same way. Biological enzyme formulas are actually very effective in cleaning soiled nappies.
Care & Washing Instructions - Nursing Pads
Prewash before use - Bamboo will continue to build up in absorbency with more washes.
It is important to ensure pads are completely dry after washing and between uses. To get pads completely dry use a low to medium tumble dry if needed. To avoid skin irritation and leakage, change pads frequently when wet and avoid leaving wet pads on skin for long periods of time. All breasts are shaped differently, so place the pad in a position that works best for you. To avoid mould forming, wash pads every second day in a hot wash with the full amount of detergent recommended for your load size. A periodic anti-bacterial treatment in canesten or Dettol rinse is fine. Placing pads in a delicates bag helps to keep all of the small parts together in the wash.
Bleach may damage the cotton outer prints and is not recommended.
Avoid fabric softeners and other products that might impact absorbency.
Care & Washing Instructions - Wet Bags
Run soiled Wet Bags through a full/long wash up to 60 degrees using the full amount of detergent recommended on the packet for your load size - Wet Bags can be washed with nappy shells and change mats - Do not exceed temperatures of 60 degrees as it may damage the PUL waterproof layer and will void your warranty. Do not soak or place in bleaches as it may damage the cotton prints. Air or LOW Tumble Dry
Care & Washing Instructions - Change Mats
Prewash with like colours to remove manufacturing residue and avoid colour transfer from the fabrics.
Wash MAX 60 degree's with the full amount of detergent recommended with your load size - May be washed with nappies and wet bags - Air or LOW tumble dry only - Do not soak or place in bleaches as it may damage or fade the fabrics.
Prior to use please read the Designer Bums Care and Washing Instructions. All of our nappies come with a 3 month warranty on workmanship and materials which allows ample time for any manufacturing defects to become evident. Leaking and fit issues are not manufacturing faults as our nappies are OSFM (one size fits most) and may have periods where the fit changes on the growing child from birth to toilet training. Please follow the troubleshooting steps if you are experiencing leaking or fitting issues and keep in mind that the vast majority of leaking issues can be resolved very easily with fitting, washing and insert adjustments. If laundered and cared for following our washing instructions, you will maximise the lifespan of your DB products.
The user must care and wash our products according to our instructions. If the nappies are coated in zinc or petroleum based barrier creams, soaked in chemicals of any sort, bleached or placed under high temperatures when washing or drying over 60 degrees Celsius (140 F) or tumble drying cotton shells or spinning shells in the washing machine over 800RPM the warranty is immediately void.
The warranty covers faults that are applicable to manufacture; such as stitching, elastics, and the correct and functioning snaps on the nappy. Damage to a product such as ripping, tearing or snagging of the fabric, opening the snaps too forcefully resulting in tearing the materials, cracking a KAM snap or other damage sustained from improper use will not be covered under warranty. Fading and piling of fabrics is normal over time and considered regular use, this is not covered by warranty. Designer Bums uses unique printed fabrics that are created by designer artists. Prints may appear slightly different to the pictures. The direction of print placement may vary from product to product depending on the shape, width and size of how the fabric arrives when purchased by meter and how the pattern is cut from the fabric - This is not a manufacturing fault and adds to the unique personality of each individual product.
If products are damaged in transit please let us know, however it is the responsibility of Australia Post and you are required to lodge a claim with them directly quoting your tracking number. Designer Bums products are covered with signature only delivery as an eParcel customer. For any damage sustained during shipping please retain your original packaging and products as evidence with making a claim to Australia Post and take photographs as evidence. Please feel free to let us know so that we can assist in your claim.
On the rare occasion a product arrives with a fault please retain your proof of purchase and contact us directly at email@example.com and someone will be in touch to discuss the situation and an exchange or replacement will be arranged. Upon assessment of the item and circumstances a replacement, exchange or refund will be issued at our discretion. You may be required to ship the products to Designer Bums for assessment. Only the damaged parts of a product will be replaced or refunded.
Items being returned for exchange must be accompanied with proof of purchase and must be undamaged, unworn and in ‘as new’ re-saleable condition within 14 days of purchase. If there is no error made by Designer Bums with your order and it is simply a change of mind exchange you will be responsible for all shipping charges. A $20 processing fee will be deducted from orders requiring a refund or cancellation for change of mind returns. Please note due to health, safety and hygiene reasons we cannot exchange used nappies simply for a change of mind.
Due to health and safety reasons, there are no returns available on nursing pads or undamaged insert sets. If a nappy shell has sustained a fault, the shell will be replaced or the shell portion of the nappy refunded.
There is no refund, returns, exchange or changes accepted on Mama to Be and Mystery Bag Packs.
There are no refunds, exchanges or returns accepted on sale and clearance items as reflected in the heavily discounted price - If a clearance item has a fault it will be clearly disclosed as the reason for the reduced price.
Please feel free to contact us with any feedback or support questions you may have on our nappies at firstname.lastname@example.org
>>> Watch our handy fitting tutorial first! <<<
- You have just put a nice cloth new nappy on, only to find that it leaks a short time later? First thing to do is check your fit. This is the Number 1 reason for leaking, aside from the nappy full and being ready to be changed. If your inserts are saturated this means the nappy is full and you need to change more often or add in extra inserts to increase absorbency.
- Our nappies are designed to last between 2-4 hours - if you have a particularly heavy wetter, it will probably be closer to 2 hours. We don't recommend leaving a nappy on baby during the day for more than 4 hours at a time as wet nappies against the skin can cause nappy rash and irritation. For hygiene and comfort, any daytime nappy should be changed at approx 3 hours.
- Is the leg elastic in the groin crease? This is very important to create a firm leak-proof seal around the leg and bottom and one of the most common fitting mistakes resulting in leaks. When putting the nappy on baby, make sure that you have the front of the nappy on the right size setting. There are three sizes to choose from. Snap the nappy right down at the front for smaller babies and move your way up through the sizes as baby grows.
- The nappy needs to be firm around the tummy and legs so that you can run a finger around the elastic, but not too tight. For a baby on the smallest size setting, you may only need to use the smallest insert. For a larger baby, you will need both inserts. You will know when you need to start using both inserts because the nappy will start to soak through the one insert and it will be very full when you change baby. When you reach this stage, it is time to use both inserts. You can also purchase a range of other customisable boosting solutions on our website.
- Take a look at your washing routine - Are you washing the nappies according to the instructions? Have a read back over and check the steps.
- Are you using barrier creams? If you are using barrier creams without a liner on the nappy, this will cause them to get a build-up of oil and zink which can repel liquid and leak. If you have been using the cream without a liner don't fret, it will wash out in a long hot wash with the full amount of detergent.
- If inserts are repelling and having build-up that is not washing out, a strip-wash may be required on the inserts only.
We are confident you can overcome any challenges with using cloth nappies by following the above steps. Please get in touch if you need some further assistance email@example.com